Slader's Leigh was purchased from Mr Arthur J. Langford. The date of the conveyance was 10th September 1986. The meadow is a narrow strip of land, part of a much larger Slader's Leigh, which was left when the Cheddar Valley Railway Line was constructed in 1869.
The field is near Winscombe, at OS map reference ST 422562. Its area is 0.688 hectares/l.7 acres
Because of its awkward shape the field has never been ploughed or farmed intensively. It is now one of the few remaining pieces of unimproved neutral/acid grassland sites in the Vale of Winscombe.
Flora & Fauna
There are over 130 different plant species recorded, including Devil's-Bit Scabious, Cowslips, Betony, Common Spotted Orchis and Tormentil.
21 different kinds of butterfly have been recorded.
The policy is to encourage the establishment of the maximum number of species of flora and fauna compatible with the three habitats of neutral meadow, woodland edge and thicket. No introductions are to be made.
There is no public right of way through the field, but members of the public are welcome to use the path running down the centre, subject to the Society's right to close it if necessary.
Help with management is periodically required. If you would like to help with this is any way please contact Judith Tranter.